Monday, August 18, 2014

Button That Lip!

The Altered Pages Design Team has joined the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog Design Team for Challenge #14 
Button It in a UP Blog Hop!

Hello and welcome!  Today I am honored to be part of a fun blog hop with my Altered Pages Design Team as well as Craft Hoarders Anonymous.  The theme of this hop is BUTTONS!  Most of us crafters and artists have at least a few buttons in our stash...a few hundred in some cases.  So, take a look at what I have made for you and be sure to check out what at all the bloggers have created as well (listed at end of this post).  Leave a comment letting us all know you were here. We all love to hear from you...and your name might just be drawn to win an amazing stash of goodies from Altered Pages, including Japanese Oil Pastels and oodles of ephemera! 
For this project I gathered up my buttons and put my thinking cap on.  After deciding on the general idea I knew I needed a large surface because I wanted to make a big old set of lips out of buttons along with the saying "Button that lip!"  So, the large Dylusions journal would be perfect.  I love playing in my journal anyway. lol! 
In the two pictures above you can see how I started my background using the Dylusions inks letting all that drippy goodness do its thing. The next picture shows how I created the lips out of buttons.  I started with a rough sketch for the shape and then I filled it in with buttons in pale pink, fuchsia and reds, all typical lip stick colors.  I then filled it all the empty space with black and added a white outline.  

To give the background more interest I added texture by using a stencil and gel medium.  I love the result of how it gives background colors an extra pop.  I also added some stamped images and gave the entire page a border.  I added a few more buttons along the border. 

Next, I chose a vintage text page and ran it through the printer with the saying "Button that lip!" in a sassy font.  I then added a coating of clear embossing powder.  This was a very thin piece of text page and I didn't want it getting damaged.  I love the effect. 
Finally, I added a bow that I customized using white seam binding that I dyed with my Grape Crush Dylusions ink.  I also included a little scraps of pink lace and a few more buttons along the border. 
Some detail with my white Uniball pen and it was finished. 

I hope you enjoyed my nod to buttons.  
Thanks for stopping by. 

Projects used:
Assorted buttons
Dylusions inks - in Funky Fuchsia, Grape Crush, Vibrant Turquoise and White

Here are links to take you right to the other Altered Pages Design Team blogs.  You are sure to see many great works.  

Make sure to stop by the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Design Team pages. To find the links to their posts visit Craft Hoarders blog

Amber Milone 
Christy Butters 
Debbie Seyer 
Donna Idlet 
Ginny Nemchak 
Glenda Brooks 
Gloria Stengel 
Jan Marie Ennenga 
Karen Zueger 
Kathy Clement 
Pam Bray
Tammi Bennett

Friday, August 15, 2014

Goodnight Dear One...

Happy Friday!!! 

Today I have my second installment for the collaboration between Altered Pages and Sin City Stamps

So, you may or may not know that Altered Pages and Sin City Stamps design teams have been collaborating for the month of August.  The first couple weeks of the month we concentrated on all things "fairy" and some amazing projects were created.  For the second and my most favorite portion of the partnership we are waking the spirits and Halloween is our theme.  

I have for you today a Halloween Shrine titled Good-night Dear One.

For this project I used the Chipboard Shrine Frame and Halloween rubber stamps from Sin City Stamps as well as collages images and other goodies from Altered Pages.

I started by inking up the blank chip board shrine.  I quickly realized that this was leaving an amazing pattern on my craft sheet so I grabbed a tag to lay behind while I finished inking and I now have the perfect background and beginning for a Halloween tag. 

I then added Vintage text pages to the base or background of the chipboard.  I distressed that a bit with black ink...after all this had to look a bit tattered and beat up. 
After adding some awesome spooky Halloween images from Sin City Stamps and collage images from Altered Pages I allowed gooey, slimy, green ink to drip down from the top of the shrine. Some of the fussy cut stamped images were done in StazOn Jet Black in and then coated entirely with VersaMark and embossed with a clear iridescent embossing powder.  The others were stamped in clear VersaMark and embossed in black. 
I then went to work on detailing the "iron gate" of my shrine.  I gave the entire gate a coat of gel medium with a bit of shimmer to emulate a metal effect.  I also added stamped images and a phrase that I was lucky to find on the very vintage text page I was using. This is where I got the idea for my title.  I threw in a little bling here and there for good measure. 
I then wired my gate to the shrine with small gauge craft wire.  I purposefully left the ends and edges a bit rough, you know craftsmanship wasn't always the cream of the crop when the craftsmen were actually the undead...ooohhh aahhh haaaaa haaaa haaaa (insert Vincent Price voice here). 
I really hope you enjoyed my Halloween Shrine and I know for most of us it's still pretty hot out there, but maybe this will get you in the Halloween crafting spirit. 

Make sure you leave a comment letting us know you were here. We love to hear from you and know what you think. 

Thank you and have a safe and happy weekend!
Stephanie S.